About Deaf-initely Women
To bring deaf women in Derbyshire together in order for us to grow in confidence and to gain mutual support from each other. To challenge discrimination in a collective and effective way, supporting agencies to learn and improve their practice. We aim to empower women who may have had a lifetime of discrimination and women who have isolated themselves or been isolated due to hearing loss. Isolation is a life changing and life limiting situation.
History of Deaf-initely Women
The origins of Deaf-initely Women came up during a birthday meal where five friends, all of whom are deaf, were celebrating being deaf women as well as discussing the problems that they encountered in their daily lives. They acknowledged how fortunate they were to have each other for emotional support and the resilience that they shared amongst themselves. With this in mind, they thought that other deaf women needed this support too and set about to sharing this to others.
With funding from Awards for All, the numbers of deaf women joining Deaf-initely Women from all parts of Derbyshire has increased.
The idea for Deaf-initely Women has mushroomed bringing together deaf women to support each other who are isolated themselves
We are a group of women with all levels of hearing impairment, from all backgrounds and ages. We aim to meet at least 4 times a year.
- Welcome all women with varying levels of deafness
- Are managed by deaf women for deaf women in Derbyshire
- Consult deaf women to tell us what they would like to do
- Aim to improve deaf women's confidence through socialising and trying new experiences
- Aim to improve deaf women's well-being through health education and raising awareness
- Activities and events are accessible with a loop system, BSL interpreters and speech to text service
- Other communication support will be provided if required